Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It's been a while!


Wo, November 4, 2011 I certainly have neglected my little portfolio blog! Hopefully you’ll think I have a reasonable excuse.

Not long after I set this portfolio blog up I started working at the now Department of Environment and Heritage Protection as a full time Graphic Designer and it has been really great! I feel very lucky to have a job that I enjoy and with some fantastic people that make going to work easy.

So that’s my excuse. My original goal was to become a full time designer and continue to do some freelance work here and there for some added variety. Goal achieved! So as it is the start to a new year I wanted to make some new goals to grow creatively and thought that blogging about my progress would keep me on track.

Let me say this, I am not looking for a new job, however I do know that one day I might be, or one day I might have children and want to work from home. Having these extra skills may make me more employable in the future or help me create something where I can work at home and be a mum. I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen but I’d like to have the option if it does.

Ok time for the goals! Well really they are the things I want to learn about or learn how to do this year. Here goes:
1. Photography – I was very lucky to receive a digital SLR camera for my birthday last year and I am still working out how to use it.
2. Calligraphy – I have always loved beautiful handwritten script so why not give it a go!
3. Photoshop – I know how to touch up photos, remove wrinkles and the like, but there is so much you can do with this program. So I plan to explore.
4. Watercolour – I have always loved painting and drawing, but have never really used watercolour. There are some really beautiful and interesting ways I have seen watercolour used.
5. Illustration – See above! Something I don’t make time to do anymore and I’d like to get back into it.
6. Dreamweaver – My study taught me how to design a website, how to lay it out in a user friendly and aesthetic manner, but not how to build one.
7. Typography – I guess this one fits in a bit with my calligraphy learning goal. My aim is to add to the many inspirational/funny/thought-provoking/outrageous/posters out there.

Now my goal is not to become an expert in all of these within the year, but to try all of them. If I find I enjoy something then I will keep practicing and learning more. If I am struggling with something then I will stick with it until the end of the year. If after that I still don’t grasp it or enjoy it then I will let it go, but only if I have really worked at it. No half-assed BS.

Welcome to 2013. BOOM *said in Will Farrell, Talladega nights, style voice*

No comments:

Post a Comment